Plant-based sweeteners are becoming increasingly popular as people become more aware of the health risks associated with refined sugar. Here are some of the reasons why plant-based sweeteners are the best alternatives for sweet tooth:
- They are lower in calories or have no calories. This is because plant-based sweeteners are not broken down into glucose in the same way as refined sugar. This means that they do not raise blood sugar levels as much, which can be beneficial for people with diabetes or those who are trying to lose weight.
- They are often naturally sweet. This means that you do not need to use as much of them to get the same sweetness as you would with refined sugar. This can help you to reduce your overall calorie intake.
- They have other health benefits. Some plant-based sweeteners, such as Monk Fruit, have been shown to have other health benefits, such as reducing inflammation.
- They are generally safe for most people. Plant-based sweeteners are generally safe for most people to consume. However, it is important to note that some people may be allergic to certain plant-based sweeteners.
Here are some of the most popular plant-based sweeteners:
- Stevia: Stevia is a natural sweetener that is extracted from the leaves of the stevia plant. It is 300-400 times sweeter than sugar, but it has zero calories. Stevia is a good choice for people with diabetes or those who are trying to lose weight, although some people complain about a bitter aftertaste and gastrointestinal distress.
- Monk fruit: Monk fruit is another natural sweetener that is extracted from the luo han guo fruit. It is 150-200 times sweeter than sugar, but it also has zero calories. Monk fruit is a good choice for people who are looking for a sweetener with a mild, sweet taste (learn more about Monk Fruit here).
- Erythritol: Erythritol is a sugar alcohol that is naturally occurring in some fruits. It is about 60-70% as sweet as sugar. Erythritol is a good choice for people who are looking for a sweetener that does not raise blood sugar levels.
- Yacon syrup: Yacon syrup is a liquid sweetener that is made from the yacon root. It is about 50% as sweet as sugar, but it has only 2 calories per teaspoon. Yacon syrup is a good choice for people who are looking for a sweetener that is high in fiber.
If you are looking for a healthy alternative to refined sugar, plant-based sweeteners are a good option. They are lower in calories or have no calories, they are often naturally sweet, and they have other health benefits. Check out our Monk Fruit products here.